question

davidvc0 avatar image
0 Likes"
davidvc0 asked ·

Items missing in findItemsAdvanced API result, later found in findCompletedItems result

Hi - I have an application that calls FindingService APIs findItemsAdvanced and findCompletedItems and I am getting some items being returned in findCompletedItems that never were returned in findItemsAdvanced. The problem created by this is that the application is not aware that an item is for sale until after it sold. And these items can be for sale for days. This appears to be a bug to me. Both APIs are called every 3 minutes. The only difference in the calls is that findItemsAdvanced uses StartTimeNewest as the sort while the findCompletedItems uses EndTimeSoonest as the sort. I have attached the production query json results. For one of these problem items (332244723224), the item StartTime is "2017-05-30T18:19:50.000Z". In the findItemsAdvanced json results, you can find items with a start time both before and after this items start time. The first time the item is returned in results is 4 days later in the findCompletedItems results. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something wrong with my query? Is there a work around? Thanks, David [link text][1] [1]: /storage/temp/ 1450-missing-item-query-and-results.txt
finditemsadvancedfindcompleteditems
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
Could be this issue I reported in 2015. They made a system change that rendered StartTimeNewest unreliable. Items arrive in the API up to 30 minutes after their start time and are inserted later in the StartTimeNewest order. So you have to request 30 minutes worth of information, page thru it all, and compare to previous requests to pick out the new items. https://forums.developer.ebay.com/questions/11402/starttimenewest-sort-hides-items-in-finding-reques.html They said they would not fix the late arrival issue. I also requested a new sort (publishing time) to deal with this, but eBay has declined to provide that as well.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

disruptek avatar image
0 Likes"
disruptek answered ·
I did some testing on this a few years ago and found the delay to be on the order of about 60 seconds with a rare outlier of under 90 seconds. I cannot fathom why such a huge delay would exist, but I feel 60-90 seconds is at least workable for my purposes. However, 20 minutes is a disaster! If we're truly seeing a 20 minute delay, this is a huge bug and really needs to be escalated and escalated again until it's fixed.

davidvc0 avatar image
0 Likes"
davidvc0 answered ·
Thank you for the quick response. That was very helpful. I read your ticket and I am seeing the same results as what you describe. Like you say, I can't find a workaround other than expanding the number of results returned. Not sure why this is "by design", seems like a bug.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.