question

spatialbuffer avatar image
1 Like"
spatialbuffer asked ·

How can I get the largest-possible Item Pictures (using GetItem )

I am having the same issue as in this question: https://forums.developer.ebay.com/questions/12149/fetch-large-image-sizes.html - however the answer simply points to another thread that has since been deleted. My objective is to get the highest-resolution images for a given eBay item. My call to `GetItem` succeeds, but the response only gives image URLs of the form: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/z/{value}/$_12.JPG?set_id={setId} * `MTAwMFg3NTA=` is the Base64-encoded representation of an ASCII string "`1000X750`". * `{value}` seems to be some Base64 value that is unique to each image. * `{setId}` seems to be a hexadecimal value, all images for the item share the same value. Excluding this value from the request made no difference to the response (i.e. the image was the same). When I make a GET request for these images, they're all `375 x 500px` in size (interestingly, this is *half* of the `1000x750` size described in the URL). If I access the eBay Item page in my web-browser, then I see the image URLs have a different format: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/{value}/s-l1600.jpg * When I retrieved this image, it indeed had a size of `1000x750`. * `{value}` appears to be the same `{value}` which uniquely identifies each image. * Despite the `l1600` in the URL, neither the width or height of the image was `1600px`. I know I can modify my program code to translate the URLs into the second format, but it seems like a hack, and there is no guarantee that it will work - nor that it will necessarily truly be the largest image available. So given an Item Number, how can my code get the largest-possible Item images?
getitemimagespicturepicturesimage
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

bootsale_de avatar image
1 Like"
bootsale_de answered ·
The INT in `$_12` reflects the image size/crop … consider them "presets" of ebay's choosing … Some time (years?) ago it used to be possible to get the max. (raw?) image this way … nowadays it seems like they max out @ 1024x… or so, though it's possibly a restriction (resize) stemming from the mobile apps … so _they_ downsize the pics before uploading … not sure, would have to test it, but feel free … ;) upload a large as possible pic to ebay (via desktop, NOT some app) and retrieve it by cycling through the INT in `$_12` … ps.: back in the days i determined `10` to be the value of the largest size …
· 1 · Share

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks for this tip! My app now replaces all occurrences of lower-resolution picture urls (e.g. .../$_12.JPG) with the highest-resolution (.../$_10.JPG).
0 Likes 0 · ·
keyonline.eu avatar image
0 Likes"
keyonline.eu answered ·
Explanation from spatialbuffer really helped us today to collect the pictures from Inbox messages. Thx a lot!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.