question

nalf3 avatar image
1 Like"
nalf3 asked

FindPopularItems no longer working?

I know that FindPopularItems has been deprecated since a while but it was still working. Now it always returns "No match found for your query". Do you know if it's only a temporary glitch? Any idea how to replace that call? I know about getMostWatchedItems but it only takes a category id. I need to find popular items by keywords. Any input appreciated...
file exchange
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
3 Likes"
helios825 answered
Update on FPI: As of late last week, they're still working on it... But also... Check out the [good news in this thread][1] that helps here. [1]: https://forums.developer.ebay.com/questions/20014/most-watched-items-sort-option.html?sort=newest

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
Yes, I noticed this too for FindPopularItems (FPI), all weekend long. The call started failing partially on Thursday night -- many auction-format listings were suddenly missing and unsearchable. By Friday afternoon, no results were being returned for ANY keyword query. This lasted all weekend. Good news -- I think the FPI call is fixed, as of about 2-3 hours ago. I'mm seeing search results returned again. Many auctions are again missing, but maybe it's just beginning to catch up. Is anyone else seeing the same? Yes, this API call is deprecated, but it's SO DARN UNIQUE, without any replacement call available. I really hope it quietly keeps working behind the scenes until a replacement can be developed. All they'd need to do is add MostWatched as a sort option to the Finding API, and return the Watcher Count in results, similar to how the View Count is already returned. With thew new Browse API released, maybe they can soon bring over the functionality of this legacy call, before actually pulling the plug on FPI. Fingers crossed.

nalf3 avatar image
0 Likes"
nalf3 answered
Exactly! Like you said, there is just the Most Watched sort option missing and it would be perfect. I suspect we are a bunch still using that unique call. Is there any place where we can submit ideas or requests for API development? If there are enough people asking they may implement it. The FindPopularItems call is still broken on my side.

nalf3 avatar image
0 Likes"
nalf3 answered
I have posted my request to the "Feedback, Comments, Suggestions" forum. Please do the same.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
Darn, FPI is now failing again. While it was mostly working OK last night (as I noted above), now it's again returning no results (with an odd 1 in 10 calls or so working OK).

stanlecha9 avatar image
0 Likes"
stanlecha9 answered
It's not working here too.

catherine_developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
catherine_developersupport answered
Shopping API FindPopularItems and FindPopularSearches are deprecated

nalf3 avatar image
0 Likes"
nalf3 answered
You obviously did not read my post.

meilingw avatar image
0 Likes"
meilingw answered
Hey Helios, you are still doing a great job in this community. This is lucky question # 20,000! Pretty cool. Michelle

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
Hey Michelle: Good to see you again! Glad you're still out there. I've been meaning to email you for like, eons... FPI- still busted, but partially working at the moment. Still LOTS of items missing from the responses. Just a few token items being returned. I can't tell whether it's being worked on or not. Maybe just flailing about as it dies for good? I know it's officially deprecated. Got it. Still, I've been in touch with eBay to see if it still can be resuscitated for a while longer...

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.