question

sposmith avatar image
0 Likes"
sposmith asked

findCompletedItems and getSingleItem return different convertedCurrentPrice

When placing a call using the Finding API's *findCompletedItems* request I will sometimes get a different *convertedCurrentPrice* than looking at the same item with the shopping API's *getSingleItem* request. I noticed this a few months ago and didn't have time to investigate but I've recently come across it again. For example, on the actual website, this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sequential-Circuits-Six-Trak-Track-Vintage-Analog-Synthesizer-/371871764539 is described as being sold for $550. If I look at the item using the Shopping API's *getSingleItem* request I see a *convertedCurrentPrice* of $550. All good so far, however, if I look for the same item using the Finding API's *findCompletedItems* request I get a response with the *convertedCurrentPrice* being $450. Which is the correct price? Assuming this isn't a bug, the only thing I can think is that because this auction has *bestOfferEnabled* set to true the actual selling price was an accepted offer of $450. If that's the case I can work with it but if it's not I need to be able to figure out which response I can trust. Can someone confirm what I'm seeing and my hypothesis. Also apologies if this is in the documentation but I haven't found it - could someone point me to it. Here are the URLs I'm looking at: [findCompletedItems][1] [getSingleItem][2] [1]: http://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findCompletedItems&SERVICE-VERSION=1.13.0&SECURITY-APPNAME=MY_APP_ID&GLOBAL-ID=EBAY-US&keywords=Sequential+Circuits+Six+Trak&paginationInput.entriesPerPage=100&paginationInput.pageNumber=1&sortOrder=EndTimeSoonest&REST-PAYLOAD=&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=XML&itemFilter%280%29.name=SoldItemsOnly&itemFilter%280%29.value=true&itemFilter%281%29.name=HideDuplicateItems&itemFilter%281%29.value=true&itemFilter%282%29.name=MinPrice&itemFilter%282%29.value=282&itemFilter%282%29.paramName=Currency&itemFilter%282%29.paramValue=USD [2]: http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&responseencoding=XML&appid=MY_APP_ID&siteid=0&version=671&ItemID=371871764539&IncludeSelector=Variations,ItemSpecifics
findcompleteditemsgetsingleitemconvertedcurrentprice
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
1 Like"
clickimusprime answered
eBay is masking the offer prices on item pages, but they show that an offer was accepted on the search page with a sold items filter. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=371871764539&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc You have to use a combination of the two calls to see list and sold prices. It would certainly be more useful if both calls returned soldfor and listprice. Masking offer prices actually provides some price support. If offer prices are too prominently displayed it creates downward price pressure. Offer can be accepted for a lot of reasons (condition, need for cash, etc) that shouldn't drive down prices. But sellers focused on price as the only competition factor tend to force prices down and more so if they see best offers that are lower.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sposmith avatar image
0 Likes"
sposmith answered
Good to know, thanks. I figured something like that was going on but couldn't quite figure it out. I think at this stage having the findCompletedItems show the correct sale price is actually perfectly sufficient for my needs. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.