question

makorhimself avatar image
0 Likes"
makorhimself asked

Is it somehow possible to link the "Right now on ebay" logo to ebay content that makes sense for users?

I have web app that is being embedded on multiple web sites, displaying customized ebay profiles, store listings etc. The web app uses the "right now on ebay" logo and I have a lot of user complaints about it. Actually the logo image is not the problem but that the users clicks the logo to visit the store on ebay and land on completely unrelated pages in different languages because eBays logo license terms requires them to. According to https://go.developer.ebay.com/logos: "The logo must link to the following URL, or some such other URL chosen by eBay in eBay's sole discretion: http://www.ebay.com or http://ebay.com/api/index.html." So now I have (for example) a german website that embeds a german ebay listing. The non english speaking user clicks the logo because he's interessted in an article and lands on the front page of ebay.com. It's not the shop he wanted, when he searches for the product it won't be found since it's not on the US site - and worst of all - it's not even a language he speaks. The user is frustrated and leaves. The customer is lost. Since that's obviously a problem for my users I was wondering if there was a way to link the "right now on ebay" logo to an URL that actually makes sense for users, like linking it to the stores whose data is being displayed right now. Is there any place that you can apply for such a usage? "chosen by ebay at..." sounds like it but the page provides absolutely no info on who to contact. Thanks to anybody who can help!
linkusage termsright now on ebay logo
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
While I can't offer any legal advice here, and I don't know eBay's actual stance on this, I would venture to guess that if you linked that logo to any reasonable eBay page, they probably wouldn't mind. That's just my sense of things; I could be wrong though. I recommend you open a tech support ticket within your eBay Dev account and ask them directly. Yes, it'll cost you some money, but you'll get to email with them directly. However, I noticed (years ago) they tend to not want to comment on legal issues. Although perhaps this issue is mild enough that they can give you permission to link to other eBay pages. Or at least direct you to the right eBay contact to ask.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

makorhimself avatar image
0 Likes"
makorhimself answered
Thank, I will try opening a ticket on the dev account.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.