question

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
0 Likes"
$$anonymous$$ Suspended asked

Programmatically find a set of categories and their currently listed items

My company is working with eBay on a services integration.  In order to begin this integration, I need to programmatically retrieve a set of categories for a region and then iterate over those categories to get a large set of currently listed items under those categories.

I've used this example of getting categories using a restful call:

http://open.api.ebay.com/Shopping?callname=GetCategoryInfo&appid=[MY ID]&siteid=3&CategoryID=-1&version=729&IncludeSelector=ChildCategories

My question is how best to iterate over the results and search for N items in each category, where N is a large number (we need to return a large sample of available items, perhaps selected for popularity).  I will be storing the results in a set of XML files.

Also, is the eBay search API available as a python library?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

category-search-example
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered

I'm not an expert on your particular needs (large volume), but here are some thoughts...

I could be wrong, but I don't think the eBay API is setup to literally download entire data sets of "all" items in a category. Most of us would use a call like findItemsAdvanced (Finding API) to at least specify some basic criteria, then we can retrieve the first 10,000 items at that point.

Maybe you should check out Large Merchant Services? I think it's made for uploading/listing en masse, but not sure about pulling down large data sets. It might be.

The call you mentioned, GetCategoryInfo, is great to quickly read the category tree, so you can then proceed to traverse parts of it as needed.

Are you sure you can't query the API to pull the specific data you need, instead of attempting to get "everything" and then query locally? Don't forget, there are some API calls that query top/popular items, such as in the Merchandising API family.

Not sure about python. You will probably need to find a 3P library for that, or build your own.

10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.