question

milodesign avatar image
0 Likes"
milodesign asked

Store Search without active content?

I'm a long-time eBay stores & template designer. eBay is saying that form actions will not be allowed when the active-content-ban goes into effect, yet the store search in all classic and new stores and the listing frame do the form action! Heck, their code is what we've been using on custom design on eBay forever with just some formatting revisions! Is there any way to do a store search without the form action? (I've not found such a thing.) Is there some way to contact eBay's staff who's working on the active content stuff to request they allow the form action for store searches only? (My contacts have been unable to direct me.) I suspect there are millions of custom-designed templates and other pages on eBay which use this code - and a LOT of sellers who will be screaming next year if there searches cease to work.
active contentebay stores searcustom-designstore search
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
I actually know little about these things, but I thought I'd share a couple thoughts that crossed my mind. Firstly, are you talking about HTML forms, like form action="..." ... ? You probably are. I assume you've [seen this page][1], but if not, there could be some helpful info there. Also, could this be done via an off-site form? "Click here to search my store" (better wording though) which leads to a simple form on a pretty page off-site, where they type their search terms, your form builds the proper eBay search URL to take them back to the eBay Store with relevant search results. [1]: http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

milodesign avatar image
0 Likes"
milodesign answered
Thanks, Helios. Yep, i am familiar with that page - no help on store searches there. An off-site form would require sellers to have web space & most don't. Plus, asking shoppers to go thru a couple pages to get a result is not as clean and quick as the current search.
10 |600

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered
This is a support forum for API use, which is off-point for what you are trying to do. Any use of APIs would be active content. Have you read the docs for the new active content changes? They makes specific recommendations for implementing store searches under the new rules. http://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html
10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.