question

hillleevalley avatar image
0 Likes"
hillleevalley asked

Adding Photos to eBay Servers and Retrieving the URL

Hi there I haven't used API previously so please bear with me here... We are using FileExchange to upload our listings to eBay but when we list like this eBay still references our server for the image everytime it is loaded, the server we use at the moment isn't expensive so it can be slow populating the images on the listings at times so we'd prefer to have our images hosted on the eBay servers. I understand that it is possible to use the API to upload photos to the eBay server and retrieve the URL to use in our FileExchange templates but I can't follow the instructions on how to do this. Is it possible to write some code that can do this in bulk and if so would anyone have any advice on how to do so? Alternatively, is there anything already out there that we can purchase to do the same? Thanks for any help. Mat
apiurlphotoretrieve
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

thecakewasalie_6 avatar image
0 Likes"
thecakewasalie_6 answered
see http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/XML/docs/Reference/eBay/UploadSiteHostedPictures.html there's also UploadSiteHostedPictures. For your problem of currently listed items, i'd imagine you'd need to cycle through your current listings, upload the required images for each item, then set the urls returned from the above function to the PictureUrls property of the item.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

thecakewasalie_6 avatar image
0 Likes"
thecakewasalie_6 answered
Alternatively, if you have a small number of items, you could use turbo lister. That will upload the images for you - it's a free application made by Ebay.

0 Likes"
hillleevalley answered
Hi there Thank you for the reply, I will check the link out after this reply. I just wanted to clarify that we don't want to change currently listed photos, with the listings that we uploaded using FE we deleted our own hosted images and uploaded them directly into the listing so we don't currently have any self hosted photos to remove, sorry for the confusion. We used to use TL but as we work with spreadsheets for every other channel that we sell on it is so much faster to do it using FE and some of our listings have 60 variations which you can add to eBay but TL will only handle 30 and if you've tried to add 30 high quality photos to TL you'll know what a pain that can be what with it freezing etc. We usually had to upload the majority of the photos from within eBay once we'd listed the listing using TL. I'll have a look at that link now, would you mind answering any questions if it totally baffles me? Thanks again!

0 Likes"
hillleevalley answered
Just to add to the previous message. I've had a very quick look at how you make the call. Not being familiar with API at all, could you explain where to start with this? I think I can understand the structure of it but where/how do I upload the request and connect to the API, do I need to use a certain piece of software? Also, is it possible to make a simple interface whereby I could upload say 100 photos in one go and have the eBay URL returned along with SKU or even original URL so that I could easily link them in my spreadsheet? Thank you for any help you can offer. I will start reading around the link you sent me further this evening when I have a little more time to try and digest it but understanding how I make the calls and what I use would be a great starting point for me. Thanks.

ssisurplus avatar image
0 Likes"
ssisurplus answered
@hillleevalley You said you're using spreadsheets. I'd assume excel. If so it can be done inside of that using vba and MS XML object. Look at this thread... https://forums.developer.ebay.com/questions/3470/uploadsitehostedpictures-include-a-binary-attachme.html A guy there posted a working VBA code for uploadsitehostedpictures with a binary attachment. However, since you already have your photo's hosted externally, it'd probably be easier to make the same call 'without' the binary attachment and just use the ExternalPictureURL field to reference your externally hosted picture. EBay will then go out and pull that picture into EBay Services and give you a link. As far as being able to do 100 at a time. Yeah, you can do it, just need to write the code to loop through and upload them.

0 Likes"
hillleevalley answered
@ssisurplus Thank you for the help. I will look through this tomorrow as it's the wife's birthday today so I'm on duty tonight. As for whether I'll be able to understand it, well we'll see... Not being familiar with this at all, what do you use to write the VBA code in or can it be done within excel? With a binary attachment, would this be used to pull the images directly from my local PC? I'm looking for a better way of working going forward so the images that I'll need in the future aren't already externally hosted although I do need to externally host them to pull them into other channels anyhow. My brother may be familiar with VBA I think, perhaps he can help me out with it. Thanks for your help.

ssisurplus avatar image
0 Likes"
ssisurplus answered
@hillleevalley I've tried posting attachments here with samples in the past and they don't seem to let them through. so email me, my first name...Travis at my posting username dot com and I'll help get you started.

0 Likes"
hillleevalley answered
@ssisurplus Thanks for this, I have sent an email. You're a star!

ssisurplus avatar image
0 Likes"
ssisurplus answered
I'll try to upload a sample file again, but I've tried in the past and they don't go through... [link text][1] [1]: /storage/temp/1002-uploadsitehostedpictures.zip

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.