question

pretzel26ud avatar image
0 Likes"
pretzel26ud asked ·

Excluding terms, even made up ones, drastically reduce results count

This can be reproduced by the API or simply by searching the public site. If I search for something like: **star wars toys** I get back 170k results. Of course, I want to narrow the scope of my search and the best way to do that is to add an exclude term. However, adding a bogus exclude term significantly reduces the number of results, even though it shouldnt match on any of them. For example **star wars toys -madeUpWord** brings back only ~10k results. Shouldn't the results be similar since the excluded word is not found? In a much detailed search, I can get back 200 results, but adding excludes can reduce it by 40 even though those items do not match the excluded term (terms with a prefixed - sign) Thanks
searchexclude-itemsexclude
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
Probably a programmed limitation of the database for performance reasons. Since the exclude word isn't part of the index, the server has to pull all the records matching the other words and then scan them all (or an index subset) and exclude the records that don't contain the negative words. That's really costly on large databases. For the same reason you can't just scan for only excluded words. Unlimited search can be used to game the system into scanning all records. "-dsdgdfwerwefw"

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pretzel26ud avatar image
0 Likes"
pretzel26ud answered ·
Anyone else? Does eBay read these forums?

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
I just tried that on the eBay site. I see what you mean. Very odd indeed. (My exclude keyword was "-dfjhkdjfhkshdfjhsdf")

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.