question

helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 asked

eBay Motors Category 6000 & Finding API

When I first started using the Finding API a couple years back, I wanted to retrieve auctions via findItemsAdvanced. Most everything worked fine, except I had an issue with eBay Motors.

I noticed that when I used the &categoryId= filter to search category #6000 (all of Motors), I got an Error #3 "Invalid Category ID" error. I was sure to use the proper GlobalID of EBAY-MOTOR, and I was disappointed to infer that eBay wasn't allowing us to search through the entirety of the US Motors site. :(

Solution/Workaround! I found that if I used EBAY-US instead of EBAY-MOTOR for my cat#6000 search, the Finding API kindly translated that request to US Motors behind the scenes, and did indeed allow me to search all of Motors vicariously. Nice.

Bummer though... Fast-forward 2+ years: Within the past week, this courtesy mapping/translation has partially failed, and I can no longer search the entirety of cat #6000, whether I use EBAY-MOTOR or EBAY-US. :(

There's an exception: it works fine if I also specify a keyword. In other words, using category 6000 by itself (no keyword) generats an "Invalid Category ID" error -- but with a keyword, results are successfully returned (suddenly the category# is valid).

So, just a simple request to eBay here... Is this new limitation here to stay? Or perhaps, hopefully, just a temporary/fixable bug?

(If anyone's wondering how constructive it could be to search all of cat=6000 without specifying a keyword, it's because using a combination of filters and/or sort-orders can yield some helpful results.)

http://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=fi...

Edit the above link to EBAY-MOTOR for comparison. And/or add &keywords=Harley to see some search results returned.

I get the feeling that a cat=6000 search without keywords working fine via EBAY-US was a loophole that they just patched up -- a bug to them, but a feature to me. ...I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks,

-h

finditemsadvanced-finding
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

rekha.developersupport@ebay.com avatar image
0 Likes"
rekha.developersupport@ebay.com answered

Hello helios825,

Yes there was a change in the behavior which does not allow searching without keywords.  I've filed a feature request on your behalf to see if this can be opened up as before.

10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered

Thanks for looking into that, Rekha.

I was running a few tests just now, and it looks like it may in fact be in transition back to the way it was. While some responses still error out, upon re-sending the call I'm seeing some requests return data again. Cool... (I'll keep an eye on things.)

-h

10 |600

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered

BTW, thanks again for this, Rekha. This change was indeed reverted last August, and the former feature/loophole was reinstated, and continues to offer benefit to my users.

-h

10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.