question

pcpuzzle avatar image
0 Likes"
pcpuzzle asked ·

Use Finding API to update auction Current Price/Minimum to Bid?

A newbie question.

I'm currently attempting to modify/update an old eBay plugin. The plugin will retrieve eBay items and their full details with no problems whatsoever. However, the auction prices do not update as the auction proceeds and further bids are made.

The following Finding API calls are available/utilized in the plugin:

What I'm trying to ascertain is:

Should one of the above "calls" be retrieving the updated 'current price' or should there be an entirely different API call constructed to do the job?

Cheers

update-api-current-price
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pcpuzzle avatar image
0 Likes"
pcpuzzle answered ·

Sorry about that Clickimusprime & Helios. I should have explained myself better.

Yes, you are right. I am wanting to "periodically update the current display with the current prices and just want to know the best way to go about that". Thank you so much for your advice. It gives me a way forward...I think.

Anyhow, I should provide some further background just in case it gives rise to another suggestion by you or Helios.

Firstly, I plan to use the plugin to retrieve multiple eBay items automatically...say, 10 newly listed items every 6 hours for example.  I have the option to retrieve every type of listing with this plugin (Buyitnow, FixedPrice, Auction,etc.,) using this method. It is only the auction items with bids that I have the problem with as these items will be 'live' on my site until the auction ends (all of them are in fact). So, if I'm sorting/retrieving my items via a "Start Time Newest" call, then I'm gonna need to have the current price updated as the auction progresses over several days. I could in fact retrieve the items via an "End Time Soonest" call, which would show a more realistic price....but I'd rather be exact. Besides, the longer the item/post is live on my site, the better it should be for google juice.

BTW, I won't have any problems bringing in duplicate items/posts as the plugin handles this quite effectively.

If you like, you can check out the two most recent items/posts on my test site http://findproductreviews.net/ to get a feel of what I'm trying to do and also, to see how the item is presented on the ad/listing page.....and of course, click through the roverlinks to see the current price.

Given that I could have hundreds of live listings on several sites on the one server, I need to find a way that won't place an enormous load on my server.  Staggering call times via automation (cron jobs) that do not coincide with the automatic calls on the other sites, is achievable. However, I'd rather not have to "recall/retrieve" all of the item's details (mutiple times) just for the sake of updating the Current Price.

I'll see how I go. If I can't figure things out, I'll engage a suitable coder to complete the job. Maybe even you, Helios or someone else on this forum may have the required skills to complete the job.

If you have any further useful info to share, I'd be extremely grateful.

I'll report back soon as to how things went :)

Cheers

Edit: Just a thought...how about incorporating eBay's RSS feed (eg. Wordbay plugin - using shortcode) just to update the Current Price?

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
0 Likes"
$$anonymous$$ answered ·

I initially interpreted this as a report that the API is not delivering current prices, which I think is the way Helios read it. But after re-reading it, It sounds like you are planning to modify the plugin to periodically update the current display with the current prices and just want to know the best way to go about that?

All the calls you posted retrieve current price, except GetMultipleItems which can also return closed items.

To refresh prices your app has to make the call again in which case you would likely receive different items from the FInding calls. GetMultipleItems, where you specify the item numbers, returns the same items. You can use the item number in place of keywords to retrieve one item in some Finding calls, but GetMultipleItems is more efficient.

You can also use GetItemStatus to fetch update pricing for specific items which is supposed to be faster.

Consider just doing a full re-display if you are showing multiple items instead of updating the prices. Then you can show more items to the same user instead of the same items.  If your app is such that you track items for a long time and you want to show the same items until they end, use GetItemStatus or GetMultipleItems to fetch the updated info with an ajax call to a proxy page and then plug in the data.

Here's another undocumented JSON API that you can use from javascript without authentication. But I'm not sure if the output format is locked down. This is what is used by eBay to refresh data on pages ending soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemLite&item=330763927131

pcpuzzle avatar image
0 Likes"
pcpuzzle answered ·

Hey, thanks for that.

Here are the full API's. I've already amended the updated versions as you suggested:

$findItemsCall="httx://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findItemsIneBayStores&SERVICE-VERSION=1.11.0";
        . "&SECURITY-APPNAME=$prodAppID"
           . "&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=XML&REST-PAYLOAD"
           . "&storeName=$xxxStoreName"
           . "&outputSelector=StoreInfo";

$findItemsCall="httx://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findItemsAdvanced&SERVICE-VERSION=1.11.0";
        . "&GLOBAL-ID=$siteid";

$findItemsCall = "httx://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findItemsByProduct&SERVICE-VERSION=VERSION=1.11.0";
           . "&paginationInput.entriesPerPage=100"
           . "&productId.@type=$xxxProductIDCodeType"
           . "&productId=$xxxProductID";

$getMultipleItemsCall = "httx://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetMultipleItems&version=779&siteid=$siteid";
             . "&appid=$prodAppID"
             . "&ItemID=$multipleItems"
             . "&responseencoding=$responseEncoding"
             . "&IncludeSelector=" . get_option('xxx_descriptionSelector') . ",Details";

I would appreciate your advice on any further changes that might be appropriate.

Cheers

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·

From what you've shown, those calls should always retrieve the latest info about the listings, including current price and bid counts.

If you're testing these calls in your browser, be sure to Ctrl-Refresh (or equivalent) to force your browser not to use cached responses.

Also, right off the bat, be sure to update your calls with current version numbering. The Shopping API call you listed shows 517 and should be in the 700's (I like using a few versions behind for Shopping API calls, so I'd use about 779 currently). For your Finding API calls, instead of using 1.0.0, use the latest - 1.11.0 . It's possible that may solve your problem.

If you can post a full API call in this thread (mask out the AppID), then we can give it a whirl and witness the non-updates you're referring to, and hopefully troubleshoot from there.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.