question

edzine avatar image
1 Like"
edzine asked

Compatibility list maximum limit

I've created an upload tool for a client to upload vehicle spare parts and included in the upload is a list of compatible vehicles using the MVL listing K-codes, so far so normal. However when sending either an 'AddFixedPriceItem' or 'ReviseFixedPriceItem' I have found that on parts compatible with a large number of vehicles (just over a 1000 in total) I'm getting error number 21919233. This gives the specific error message of "Listing has exceeded the maximum compatibilities(3000) allowed for this listing category. Any compatibilities beyond the limit were truncated. Please double check the compatibility limit for this category and make sure you send only the maximum number of compatibilities allowed." Which is odd since it's only just over 1,000 not 3,000. Having tested this further I've since discovered that the actual tipping point is 465 - Have more compatible item past that and you get your warning. This is far short of the 3,000 being reported in the error message. Now the question is, I am missing something or should I be making sure that the compatibility list doesn't exceed 465 items (rather than 3,000) Or is this a bug in the API and something that needs looking at?
addfixedpriceitemcompatibility-list
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

prussianmotors avatar image
0 Likes"
prussianmotors answered
I'm also interested in an answer to this question as I upload parts with compatibility.
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

davidtsadler avatar image
2 Likes"
davidtsadler answered
I believe it's because a K-code can represent more than one vehicle. As I understand it eBay takes your list of K-codes and "expands" them to the actual list of vehicles. The number of vehicles in the list is then counted after this expansion. For example, if your request only contains one K-code and this "expands" into 20 vehicles, then your total is 20 and not 1.
10 |600

prussianmotors avatar image
0 Likes"
prussianmotors answered
Ahah, that makes sense. We don't use K-codes to list. We use the text field descriptions to upload each vehicle year/model/trim.
10 |600

edzine avatar image
0 Likes"
edzine answered
Ahh you might have a point, I didn't realise that a single K-Codes can relate to multiple vehicles. If thats the case then they're be duplicate in the values being passed through. Removing the duplicates should help matters. Also with regards to the MVL list at current the figures breakdown as follows: 1 match = 28,372 2 matches = 1,862 3 - 7 N/A 8 matches = 1,042 9 matches = 1 10 matches = 1 And that's it, I'll have a check through the codes I've used and see how many duplicates there are as well as if it takes the total possible vehicles past 3000.
10 |600

edzine avatar image
0 Likes"
edzine answered
Sorry 2 matches should be 818. Need more coffee before I try and think this early in the morning.
10 |600

edzine avatar image
0 Likes"
edzine answered
Right then, working off this premise I've run a check this morning. Total K-Codes passed through 674. Total K-Code possibilities .... 674. Still getting the same error message so whilst it's a nice theory about K-codes being expanded, the tests show otherwise (Also worth noting in going over the code I was already covering for K-codes being applied to multiple cars but it's been a while since I wrote the matching so forgot it was already accounted for, albit unintentionally due to how I'm matching parts listings).
10 |600

edzine avatar image
1 Like"
edzine answered
Forgot to check what the listings themselves say.. Apparently the 674 (which gets truncated down to 465 from what I assume from the error message) is apparently 2,382 vehicles. Now I'm really confused....Unless.... Right I think I get it. Each single K-Code refers to a single vehicle, but! (and here's the kicker) not to a single year. Looking over what's listed as being compatible with the part I can see identical vehicles listed next to each other but with a single year by each one. This does not directly match the data as supplied by the MVL list (since they group the vehicles by year instead) and no where does it mention that this is how the data is perceived by eBay which is rather misleading to say the least. So then, when this is taken into account we get a total of..... 3,622.. over the 3,000.. Following this train of thought, I took the listing down to the 465 records that work and ran the same calculations. Result? 3,047... yet this doesn't give the truncation error and results in the above mentioned 2,382 vehicle matches. Really going round in circles with this one and I'd love to hear what the official line on all of this is so that I can account for exactly how the vehicles are matched from the K-Codes. So yeah I'd love to hear an official explanation for all of this.
10 |600

Yeah, waiting for eBay to officially explain something about their API is like waiting for the universe to die. Have the same issue, no idea what the madness behind it is.
1 Like 1 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.