question

dennimakowsk-0 avatar image
0 Likes"
dennimakowsk-0 asked ·

Search results too inaccurate

Hi, I'm using the Find API and my results are really inaccurate. I use "findItemsByKeywords" with sortOrder "BestMatch". For example when I search for "motorbikes 125cc", I get a lot of equipment but only a few bikes. When I search ebay.co.uk, the results are much more accurate - more or less only bikes . I know that a search on ebay.co.uk is a little different than using the API, but I have seen other sites using the API with the same accuracy. Is there a trick or something? I guess that the sites I mentioned are not directly searching by category. Maybe they "detect" the main category of a keyword and start a search within that category? Or do I need to use another API? Thanks a lot for your help!!
finding-api
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
Just add the relevant vehicle category to your search. By default, you're getting vehicles+parts and parts heavily outnumber vehicles. Motorcycles are in 6024 in the US. You also have a language issue. In the US, most **motorbikes** (392 listings) are typically called **motorcycles** (6173 listings) and that is the category name as well. So you can either translate one to the other for your users or use a boolean structure like **(motorbike,motorcycle)** to fetch both. eBay usually takes care of singular/plural forms of words, but use singular here ad most listings will use that. Price filtering would work here to eliminate the majority of parts as well. If the queries are entered dynamically by users, you can narrow the search in many cases by scanning the input for specific words related to categories and adding a category filter to the search based on those words. e.g. if the user includes **motorbike** or **motorcycle** in the keywords, add category 6024. Motors lacks a vehicles node to combine all vehicles, which has always been a problem. If you can't narrow it down from the user's keywords, include all the relevant vehicle category numbers that are children of 6000.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

0 Likes"
dennimakowsk-0 answered ·
Thanks for your help! Think categories are the only way.

0 Likes"
dennimakowsk-0 answered ·
But when I search ebay.co.uk directly, I don't have to choose a category for getting the good results. And other sites using the API behave the same way. There must a another way, I guess. Because letting the user select a category is quiet annoying. Greetings

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
I guess when you query eBay US, you probably get all of eBay Motors included as part of the search. Whereas with eBay UK, they don't have a separate Motors site. You're using just keywords, and defaulting to Best Match sort, so your search is pretty untargeted. Maybe ask the user to select a category as well, then use the findItemsAdvanced call.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.