question

aebike avatar image
0 Likes"
aebike asked ·

Missing product identifier - sending EAN but eBay wants a UPC

My bulk item listing app is working fine, except for this one issue. Some of my products have UPC codes, some have EAN codes, and some have both. I send eBay whatever I have using the AddFixedPriceItem call. If I send only an EAN code, the listing succeed, but will return a warning of "UPC is missing a value. Enter a value and try again." Once the item is listed, these items are listed in the "Listing improvement recommendations" screen under "missing product identifiers" - ie. items that will no longer be renewed when the new rules about product identifiers come into effect. I have tried various ways of fixing this on my end: - Send the EAN code in both the UPC and EAN field - Send the EAN code only, and omit the UPC field Both of these end up with the same warning. If I actually type in the EAN code into the 'Listing improvement' tool, it accepts the EAN code **into the UPC field**, detects it as an EAN, and considers the listing to now be acceptable. So, how can I get eBay to accept just an EAN code when listing in bulk via the API?
addfixedpriceitemeangtinupc-productlistingdetails
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
smart_home_wizards avatar image
0 Likes"
smart_home_wizards answered ·
I'm wondering how you got on with this issue? I was investigating a similar issue today, but with UPCs (I am listing on ebay.co.uk): I had UPCs available for the products and was submitting these, but I was getting an error that an EAN was needed. I have suppressed the error messages by submitting "EAN": "Does not apply" alongside the UPC: Does not apply 813922012613 The [FAQ on newly introduced GTIN mandate ][1] (see use case 4) mentions listing both EAN and UPC, but in the context of when one is incorrectly submitting a 13 digit EAN as a 12 digit UPC. This approach appears to have also suppressed error messages in **Listing Improvement Recommendations** also, although I am not convinced that the UPC is registered for the products I submitted. I suspect the full answer is that one is supposed to do a **GetCategoryFeatures** call before listing an item to determine whether and UPC and/or EAN is required, so I am going to investigate this aspect further. But if this is the root cause I looks like as usual it is an eBay data model problem: EANs and UPCs are product attributes, not category attributes. It **is** possible in the real world to have both EANs and UPCs for products in the same category. [1]: https://ebaydts.com/eBayKBDetails?KBid=5061
· 1 · Share
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Have had no luck. As far as I'm concerned, it's a discrepancy between what is accepted via the API versus what is accepted via the web UI. They should really just have one GTIN field that takes either a UPC or EAN code. I've updated my code to send 'Does not apply' rather than a blank code, but it hasn't seemed to reduced the 'Add product identifiers' suggestions I get from eBay.
0 Likes 0 · ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.