question

edzine avatar image
0 Likes"
edzine asked

Speed, security, readablity

Has anyone from e-bay tried to use the new site on a modern browser on a slower than 10mb internet connection, whilst using a monitor that isn't 4k + ? If not please try all of the above. Firstly, on the forum and developers pages there's a large number of mixed content resources including javascript which ends up halting the browser loading on a modern browser set to ignore mixed content (ie that which begins http when using a https connection). Oh and not forgetting that I'm getting a 404 error for the bootstrap CSS in the forum area. Secondly, speed. The site is slow... painfully, woefully slow. Admittedly I am visiting the site from the UK but I still wouldn't expect a page to take over a minute to finally render a mildly broken page. Which it does on just about every page. It's a horrid experience. Finally, the choice of fonts. It's pretty much unreadable unless you sit with your face pressed against the screen. The font in question is "Helvetica Neue" when set to a font weight of 200. Every other font in the long list works just fine at a weight of 200, "Helvetica Neue" is not one of them. I am aware this is a rant, but this is basic stuff especially when it's to be used by developers. Of the three, the fonts and mixed content is an easy fix. The speed issue, I'm not so sure about. It all depends on the backend I'd guess.
missing contentspeedmixed contentreadablity
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

edzine avatar image
0 Likes"
edzine answered
Hi Lisa, I've checked over the fonts and whilst some areas like the forum are fine, the main developer home page/login page is still nearly unreadable. So for the developer site as it stands I've put a custom css theme inplace to allow it to be readable. As for the keys, tokens and reports, I think I've been looking at the older version but the API sandbox looks to be of the newer standing and that keeps falling over all the time too (usually giving me a popup with an error message that it's not working and the error number is 0... after a retry it usually jolts awake again for a few tries but I've given up trying to plum the depths of the API sandbox as it's too frustrating as it stands for the time being.) The main ebay.com site doesn't suffer from this (hazarding a guess it's because it's using a heavier font-weight than 200). I'm still seeing mixed content all over the place and speed wise, the main issue (after watching the files load) seems to be the 'combined.js.{something}.pack' files which take anything from 10-15 seconds to 40+ seconds and even not at all quite frequently. Some of the issues mentions though should be quick and easy wins (such as making sure you're calling boot strap on a fully qualified location instead of the current directory. So not '/bootstrap.min.css' but something like ' https://developer.ebay.com/bootstrap.min.css') or making sure that all content uses 'https' in the URLS to prevent mixed content.
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

edzine avatar image edzine commented ·
Tell a lie, I have spotted the same font on the ebay sign in page. However the font is set to a higher point size and so is readable.
0 Likes 0 ·
edzine avatar image
0 Likes"
edzine answered
So nearly a month on and I'm still seeing network errors, certificate errors and missing content all over the place as well as the site still seems to be as slow as ever. Has anyone on the developer program website team had a look at the site using a web browser with developer tools open? It still seems very broken and temperamental (browser tested in so far are firefox with firebug dev tools, chrome and edge. All of them had errors and issues to a lesser or greater degree with some new and amusing very basic CSS bugs cropping up using edge on a smaller monitor.) Is there any reason why no-body seems to have bothered to fix these rather basic issues or even given the site a once over with an actual browser (though I accept that speed issues aren't as easy to solve but fixing missing resources might speed things along better)?
10 |600

edzine avatar image
0 Likes"
edzine answered
Regarding the forums, they're still missing one of the bootstrap.min.css files. Though looking at it, you need a forward slash adding '' should have a leading forward slash else the resource can't be found. Oh and the certificate errors have gone now so that's a small mercy.
10 |600

edzine avatar image edzine commented ·
Also noticed the fonts changed to something more readable so thanks for that too.
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.