question

adplotter avatar image
0 Likes"
adplotter asked ·

Question Regarding Finding API and Selling/Complaints

My company has me coding through the eBay search (the Finding service, to be exact) to distribute a store's items to a number of other classified sites. However, after consulting with an eBay seller, he expressed concern that if his items sold but were still showing up on other classified sites that his store might get complaints and could result in a suspension. So my question is: Is this a legitimate problem, or is the user worrying about an issue that is very unlikely? Thanks, -- Allen Harris
finding-apisellingfeedback
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
This really isn't any different from any other affiliate promoting eBay items. All sellers are already subject to this scenario, whether they are aware or not. And the caching rules exist for a reason. Each listing in Finding (or Shopping GetMultipleItems/GetItemStatus) has an end time, and you can that to detect stock status. Then limit your exposure to sold out items by removing the listings from the sites once sold or expired where possible. If seller protection is a big issue, another approach would be to link to a landing page on a site you control where the listings are displayed and you can check status before displaying the item or show a sold out message before showing the user the itemid or seller name. This has other advantages in tracking, cross-selling, search etc.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
I'm not sure what clause of the eBay Seller ToS you are referring to, but perhaps you're speaking of a situation eBay tries to prevent whereby an item sells independently on an off-eBay platform, but the same item is still listed for sale on eBay and truly isn't available for sale anymore? If that's the issue, then it's not really an issue in your case. Or, maybe it's just a minor issue -- the visitors lands on the eBay listing and sees it ended/closed already and the item is not available. Which is better than completing the sale and then having the seller cancel it because the item already sold on another platform, wasting everyone's time.
· 1 · Share

That's my reasoning; we've decided just to send the plugin for approval to eBay developer support and let the cards fall as they will. I just thought it's a good idea to get input from the community to. Might be able to route a problem before it occurs :-) Thanks for ur input so far.
0 Likes 0 · ·
helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
This sounds like it's more of a question for the regular eBay forums, since it refers to an eBay seller's account status. But I'm wondering, when you say that the seller's items are being listed on classifieds sites, are the items being sold directly from there, or are the classified listings directing visitors to the eBay listing itself, for sale on eBay?
· 1 · Share

Yeh we're a little confused ourselves; the eBay API TOS explicitly let us do this while the Seller TOS seem to disallow it. In response to your question - the classified sites are merely advertising the eBay item; in the ad description it contains a link to the item on eBay. Purchases still have to be made through eBay. -- Allen
0 Likes 0 · ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.