question

progressconcepts avatar image
0 Likes"
progressconcepts asked

Api call limit with finding api,API Call Limits for Finding API

Hi, So I use the finding API and have a compatible app. So, it seems I am allowed 1.5 million calls per day. However, is this limited by my Api Key, or by IP or what? Obviously the more distributed the app is, and therefore the more users, the more calls will be made. I am conscious that using the finding API, the user is not logged in, and so it can't be logged against their user. Further, if I wanted to centrally manage the searches for the users, i.e. run the finding API from my servers, how would I work with the limit? Do eBay allow an increase from the 1.5 million calls as long as we are not abusing the service? Thanks in advance.
finding-apiapi limitcompatible application
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
I'm pretty sure the limit is based on AppID key, not by IP. So whether you distribute your app or manage it from your server, the daily limit should be tabulated the same. (Managing it from your server, however, gives you more control, and keeps your keys secure and private. You can also implement caching, usage throttling, abuse-prevention, etc.) Raising your limit above 1.5M/day... I don't think there's a standard process for that, and it probably would be a rare situation that might be handled on a case-by-case basis by the eBay Dev team. I would imagine if it were to happen, it would be in the form of an additional API keyset, and you'd probably have to heavily justify your case in advance.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks. Do you know how I would raise this to the eBay Dev Team to clarify ahead of time? I have looked and haven't seen any contact method. As I say, this is for an app, therefore the more users, the more calls. The app needs to make requests to the Finding API, and whilst this is done periodically, some users are keen to have quicker refresh rates (under 30 minutes). Whilst not an issue now, I am conscious that if the user base grows, the API calls could grow past the 1.5M/day. eBay approved the app, so are clearly ok with it. But knowing in advance how to manage would be good.
0 Likes 0 ·
helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
1) In your eBay Dev account, IIRC, near the list of your API keys is a note/link on needing additional keys. 2) I think there's also an article in the eBay Dev Knowledge Base about needing more than 1.5M calls/day, and how they view that situation. 3) Don't be shy - open a paid tech support ticket and ask eBay Dev directly, if this issue is important enough for you.

Thats great! Thank you for sharing. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.