question

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 asked

Bulk Data Exchange - Reply is not always accurate

I've been heavily using the bulk data exchange over the past month in sandbox and I've noted some problems with the reply, especially with the additem response. I am uploading items in batches of 600, however in some of the responses the reply is either missing or incorrect. When processing the reply this is resulting in incorrect data in my application which in turn is causing failed listing attempts due to violations of the duplicate listing policy. Over a run of around 30,000 listings at least 550 replies were incorrect or missing from the reply XML. 1) The response for a specific listing is sometimes missing in the reply 2) The status is reported as failed or ommited from the reply XML for the listing which was actually successful. this brings me to the second issue. To ensure that the most accurate data is available I download the Active Listings report at least once per hour, although in Sandbox it can take several attempts to get the report to actually work. The report is not always accurate. the total number of nodes in the report does not match the total number of active listings, which in turn can lead to violations of the duplicate listing policy. The only work around I can put in my code is to listen for duplicate listing errors for future listing attempts, and then remove those items from being retried, which isn't ideal because you have to wait for the error before you can do anything about it.
bulkdataexchangeapi
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
I looked a little closer into this today and there is definitely an issue in sandbox. I ran a process to list a batch of 600 items using the AddFixedPriceItem call with JobID 50008544603 Upon completion of this job there were 416 active Ebay listings. Logging into the Ebay sandbox site confirms this and I can see 416 items in my listings page. However, if you check the download file with the replies from the API call (Download File ID 50008893093) You can see that the XML says only 404 items were listed. 404 items listed with status "Warning" due to paypal account not being valid. 196 items with Ack of "Failure". These 196 aparently failed because of error code 10007 "Internal error to the application." This gives me a discrepancy of 12 listings. This can result in the item being re-sent to Ebay and then Ebay throwing a duplicate listing error. The work around is to download the active inventory report after EVERY upload of items, however this is taking between 10 minutes and 3 hours to complete in sandbox, assuming it doesn't fail which means it would take weeks to "safely" add the 80,000 or so items I have to list. To Ebay Staff: Please can you investigate why the reply XML is incorrect? Please can you investigate why approximately 30% of all add item attempts in sandbox result in error 10007? Please can you investigate why the active items report takes so long to compile, and why most of the time it returns a failure meaning you have to try again? These issues are making it VERY VERY difficult to do any meaningful development for bulk applications.
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

shulmani_developer.support avatar image
0 Likes"
shulmani_developer.support answered
Hi, Sandbox environment is not meant for Load testing and hence you see the "Internal Error". We suggest that you send only few different request that you want to test in the Sandbox environment. Cheers!!!
10 |600

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
Good Morning @strut_h, I don't really think that 600 items in a single batch could be considered "load testing". However, receiving the error "Internal Error" is not the main issue here because items can be re-sent. The main issue is the incorrect reply status. In my example above 12 add item calls incorrectly returned a "Failure" status with error "Internal Error", but in actual fact they completed successfully. This is my main issue. Successful items should return a success or warning acknowledgement so that post processing can be done within the client side application. Instead a failure status is returned with internal error. the issue only becomes apparent when working with batches of items. I am seeing this behaviour with almost every single batch I process. I left my process running overnight, it successfully listed 27035 new items, however 2013 items were misreported by the API as having failed when it actually succeeded. roughly a 7.5% inaccuracy level. Such a high error level clearly indicates that sandbox has a problem.
10 |600

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
Good Morning @strut_h, I don't really think that 600 items in a single batch could be considered "load testing". However, receiving the error "Internal Error" is not the main issue here because items can be re-sent. The main issue is the incorrect reply status. In my example above 12 add item calls incorrectly returned a "Failure" status with error "Internal Error", but in actual fact they completed successfully. This is my main issue. Successful items should return a success or warning acknowledgement so that post processing can be done within the client side application. Instead a failure status is returned with internal error. the issue only becomes apparent when working with batches of items. I am seeing this behaviour with almost every single batch I process. I left my process running overnight, it successfully listed 27035 new items, however 2013 items were misreported by the API as having failed when it actually succeeded. roughly a 7.5% inaccuracy level. Such a high error level clearly indicates that sandbox has a problem.
10 |600

shulmani_developer.support avatar image shulmani_developer.support ♦♦ commented ·
Hi noodleman, Sandbox environment may have an issue when you send 600 items at once. It's more to test different types of listing that you want to list and if using LMS, sending in upto 10 items. Do try that and see if you are still get "Internal Error". Cheers!!
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.