question

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 asked ·

Bulk Data Exchange API in sandbox - Reports unusable

Over the past few weeks I've been working on a reasonably large project, a process which manages around 80,0000 Ebay listings. Naturally this requires a lot of testing in the sandbox environment before putting it live, however there have been many issues with sandbox recently which is putting lots of roadblocks in the way of developers who depend on a quality sandbox system for quality application development. More specifically over the past 3 weeks it has not been possible to download the ActiveInventoryReport, a critical report if you have more than 25,000 active listings. When I first started to try to get the report it would schedule, and then immediately go to a failed status with an error count of 0. This tells me that Ebay is having a process error rather than there being a problem with the API call itself. To test this I switched to production mode and I was lucky to have a single listing on the live site. The same code in production works OK, downloaded the report as expected. Switch back to sandbox and failure. At that point I decided to leave it for a week or so and move on to another section of my application and would come back and test it fully later. That brings me to today's scenario. I added a job (JobID 50008497303) to get the ActiveInventoryReport. It remained scheduled for quite a while before it actually started to run. Typically I see jobs start within 1-2 mins, but in this case it started after 25 Minutes. Unfortunately it returned no usable information, every single attempt to get the item inforamtion failed with error code 1008 and a short message of "Could not get item information right now,Please try again". I currently have 30,000 active listings in sandbox and no way to get the status of them making my development grind to a halt. I am also seeing a lot of errors when adding items to Ebay. I upload in batches of 500 items, 20 - 30% of the time I get error 16100. However, trying again later the same item might work OK. This in itself isn't a massive problem as my application handles this condition, but it's showing that the Ebay sandbox system itself is having a lot of issues. When will sandbox issues with transactions over the bulk API be resolved? It is currently blocked my development entirely. ![alt text][1] [1]: /storage/temp/732-ebay-fails.jpg
activeinventoryreport
ebay-fails.jpg (140.5 KiB)
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered ·
I think it was more of a fluke, I managed to get it once in that day. When trying to use any bulk API functions today I am met with this API response: Http/1.1 Service Unavailable I will have to try again later, but yet more issues in sandbox that grind development to a halt. I know it is good to have some errors because when things break we can test how our processes handle the conditions, but it would be nice to actually have it functional most of the time. I need to get to a point where I can leave my engine running for several days to check it adds/ends/revises and relists items correctly, but due to these glitches / sandbox issues I can't even get it to run through to completion once without the API throwing some type of internal system error. Going to give it a little more time and then will have to raise a ticket with Ebay directly about my concerns, although I can't say I am loving the idea of having to spend $70ph to report issues within the infrastructure / processes of the Ebay system which should already be monitored and handled internally..
· Share
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered ·
Thought I would post an update, after leaving it running in a loop I finally got a valid report, but it took a very long time to get it. I am not sure if I just got lucky or if somebody is fixing things behind the scenes, either way that one report was enough to get me moving again. :)
· Share
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.