question

jasoschoc avatar image
1 Like"
jasoschoc asked

How to find the category of a catalog product?

I'm making a call to `AddItem` and I'm trying to pre-fill item specifics with details from a catalog product, as detailed here: http://developer.ebay.com/devzone/guides/ebayfeatures/Development/ItemSpecifics-CatalogDetails.html So first, I call the Shopping API `FindProducts` to find a product, get the ePID, and then add this ePID to `Item.ProductListingDetails.ProductID` in the `AddItem` call. This works fine. The problem is that I need to know the **category** that the catalog product is in. Calling `FindProducts` only gives me a "domain" in the response, not a specific category ID. But before I call `AddItem`, I need know things that are category specific, like item conditions, shipping price restrictions and item specifics. **How can I find the category ID of a catalog product?** Thanks.
additemcategorycategoryidcatalogfindproductscategory-idspre-filled
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jasoschoc avatar image
1 Like"
jasoschoc answered
bump bump

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jasonschock avatar image
1 Like"
jasonschock answered
No, we had to build a widget that lets a user search/browse suggested categories, and choose one for the item. We pre-populate the search with the given catalog item "domain, which seems to often map to a category. Then use the chosen category ID in `AddItem`. It's a lot of work to set a category, unfortunately.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.