question

shitstroll avatar image
0 Likes"
shitstroll asked

What are the limitations to the FindCompletedItems call in the Finding API? How far does data go back?

I'm coming across a weird scenario when using the FindCompletedItems call of the Finding API. It seems that my search is only displaying completed auctions from up to 3 months back. I've tried using the ItemFilter EndTimeTo and EndTimeFrom, but am only receiving completed auctions from the last 3 months. Is there some type of limitation to this API in terms of how far back data can be retrieved from? I would also like to note that my results are far below the 100 pages 100 items threshold (10,000 max results). On a related note, would anyone happen to know the type of eBay API these websites are using? - http://collectorsfrenzy.com/ - http://www.popsike.com/ Their search is able to retrieve results from up to the past 8 years. Thanks for the help.
finding-apihistorical datacompleted auction
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 answered
3 months - that's a normal time frame for the fCI call. In fact it used to be much shorter - just a few weeks I think, and then they extended it to match the eBay site, presumably. It might've also varied by category (in how many weeks back). And as they say on the docs page, the call could be used to do aggregated analysis in ways that violate the API license, hence the daily call limit. All in all, I think the eBay Dev team has been pretty generous in what they've offered with that call. I remember when it was released, and I thought "OMG, they're actually giving us access to that data programmatically?! Nice!". As for fCI limitations, I remember seeing some errors in the fCI docs, btw. I forget the details, but I think clickprime suggested that perhaps the fCI call reference page might've morphed from another Finding API docs template, with some accidental parameters left in. I don't know the scoop on those specific sites you mentioned, but perhaps they're buying eBay market research data from Terapeak/AERS. That market research data goes back years for sure.
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

awesome, thanks for the input! looks like I may need to look into Terapeak to possibly get a wider range of historic data.
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.