question

pcpuzzle avatar image
0 Likes"
pcpuzzle asked

License query regarding separation of eBay content & third party content

I have successfully modified an older eBay API plugin (auction2post) to allow for custom post types and taxonomies. My modded plugin now works with the latest version of Classipress for which I'm wanting to launch new sites which include both classified & eBay listings.

Where I have a problem is within the following API license clause:

"3.1.2.1 eBay Content in a Public Display may not be co-mingled or combined with the content of any third party. All eBay Content must be segregated from non-eBay content (for example, third-party listings or other non-eBay information) and visually separated from non-eBay Content (for example, with lines or color changes)."

Firstly, all listings will be separated by virtue of the fact that each will have its own 'single-ad' listing page. The eBay content/listing page will include a few roverlinks strategically placed.

Secondly, all of the listing 'post-blocks' (index,category & search pages) would be separated/differentiated by coloured backgrounds and/or lines (eg.all ebay item post-blocks would be coloured....non-ebay items would have the standard grey background).

My point is, do I really have to go the whole hog and separate both types of listing post-blocks into different "content blocks", especially if the eBay listings are clearly identified and obvious to users.   Its not as if I would be including Amazon listings.....then I could understand. 

Could an authorised eBay representative please respond to my query.

Cheers

PS. I can provide a link to a test site if required.

contentlicenseauction2post
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tony.developersupport_deprecated_88e71f8c-89f3-4301-990a-e2f00a0fed48 avatar image
1 Like"
tony.developersupport_deprecated_88e71f8c-89f3-4301-990a-e2f00a0fed48 answered

Hi,

If there is a visual treatment that differentiates the eBay listings like having the RightNow on eBay logo beside the item, then it is fine.  

Regards,

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pcpuzzle avatar image
0 Likes"
pcpuzzle answered

Hi there,

That's the sort of common sense response that I was looking for from eBay Developer Support! Thank you.

This gives me peace of mind in knowing that I can now take a different approach to what I've already done on my test site here: http://classibay.net

I'm now able to utilize the Classipress/auction2post combination in a better way simply by differentiating the "post-blocks" within Classipress rather than having to segregate the classified posts and eBay posts into separate "content blocks" as in my current test site.

Having another alternative will be a godsend.

Thanks again

Classibay

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
0 Likes"
$$anonymous$$ Suspended answered

Your domain name violates eBay's EPN trademark guidelines  (use of "bay") unless you have approval (unlikey) - see the network agreement.

pcpuzzle avatar image
0 Likes"
pcpuzzle answered

Yikes!  I wasn't aware of that. Probably like the "McDonalds" thing I suppose (can't use 'Mc').  I'll look into that forthwith.

Anyhow, it was for demonstration purposes only. There were no real ads or campaigns running. If I have to pull the site down then so be it. I have plenty of other spare domains I can use for testing purposes, one of which already has my basic modded a2p plugin installed -   http://findproductreviews.net .

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Cheers

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.