question

hartnollguitars1 avatar image
0 Likes"
hartnollguitars1 asked ·

Problems using AddItem with new ProductDetails EAN Requirements CANNOT list or Revise

Over the past few days I have realised that for many categories in which I sell, EANs are becoming required. I have been trying to update my eBay integration to take this into account, but have run into problems. Please note, I have read this Knowledgebase article: [ https://ebaydts.com/eBayKBDetails?KBid=5061][1] which has given me most of the information below, but the POST always results in failure. The additions to my code provide a workflow, and have problems as follows: I sell musical instruments and accessories, so let's take a typical example a product "Boss CS-3 Compression Pedal", here's a link to a seller listing it: [ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231547986565][1] The EAN is **4957054012854** I want to list this in "**Musical Instruments > Guitars & Basses > Accessories > Effects Pedals**" Category ID for this is: **41410** So, as I understand it, the first thing I need to know is whether EAN is a requirement for this Category. So, using the eBay .NET SDK I run a post to `GetCategoryFeatures` requesting the following feature IDs: BrandMPNIdentifierEnabled, EANEnabled, UPCEnabled, ISBNIdentifierEnabled The response gives me, amongst other things: EANEnabled: Required, ISBNEnabled: Disabled, UPCEnabled: Disabled, BrandMPNIdentifierEnabled: False This indicates to me that the EAN is a required `ProductDetails` value to include in the `AddItem` post. So now I need to know if the EAN for this item exists in the eBay Catalogue, so I do a post to `findItemsByProduct` in the `FindingService`. I post to this URL: [ http://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?SECURITY-APPNAME=[MY-APP-ID]&OPERATION-NAME=findItemsByProduct&GLOBAL-ID=EBAY-GB&SERVICE-VERSION=1.0.0&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=JSON&REST-PAYLOAD∏uctId.@type=EAN∏uctId=4957054012854&paginationInput.entriesPerPage=1][2] The responses `ack` field is "Failure", which, from what I have gleaned from various internet posts tells me that the item is **not** found in the eBay Catalogue. Why? I don't know, as the listing example I give above shows the EAN in the Item Specifics fields... but anyway... So, armed with this information, I can find only the advice that I should replaced the EAN value with a value returned from a post to `GeteBayDetails`, the value being found as `ProductIdentifierUnavailableText` which, in my instance (for eBay UK) reads "Does not apply". Now, I build my item as usual and add the `ProductDetails` value as follows (in VB.net): Dim ProductDetails As New ProductListingDetailsType With { .EAN = "Does not apply" } I also note the requirement for an MPN and add that (it returned an error if not provided) When I list it, I get a `Failure` response with the following error: `No product found for ProductListingDetails. . ` If I take away the `ProductDetails` I get: `Required field, EAN, is missing. Please add EAN to the listing and retry`, so clearly, I do need to provide this information. **I get exactly the same problem trying to revise a listing.** I have tried adding the EAN in the `ItemSpecifics` object instead of `ProductDetails`, but that returns the "EAN Missing" error, and have tried alternating between including one, or the other, or both. So my questions are: **1:** Can someone please explain to me what I am doing wrong and how I go about rectifying it, because at the moment I cannot list, or revise items on eBay at all! **2:** Since most of my suppliers provide a UPC, not an EAN, am I to take it literally that the idetifier to be provided **MUST** be an EAN? Or can I provide the UPC field instead? [1]: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231547986565 [2]: http://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?SECURITY-APPNAME=[MY-APP-ID]&OPERATION-NAME=findItemsByProduct&GLOBAL-ID=EBAY-GB&SERVICE-VERSION=1.0.0&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=JSON&REST-PAYLOAD∏uctId.@type=EAN∏uctId=4957054012854&paginationInput.entriesPerPage=1
additemtrading-apieanitemspecificsproductdetails
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I am having the same problem when trying to add Brand and MPN. It will not accept "Does Not Apply", even though the documentations indicates that it should. Can someone please help!
0 Likes 0 · ·
shoppingsquareaustralia avatar image
0 Likes"
shoppingsquareaustralia answered ·
Hi hartnollguitars1, I have same issue , the error I returned is either brand missing or UPC missing , the item I list is Memory card , I tried combination with 'unbranded' , 'Sandisk' brand , 'Does not apply' MPN , 'Does not apply' and real UPC , all of them failed , don't know what is happening here .

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

surplus-toner avatar image
0 Likes"
surplus-toner answered ·
same problem here RequestError 21919301 (Required field, EAN, is missing. Please add EAN to the listing and retry.) Provided valid EAN in both itemSpecifics and ProductDetails but still get EAN missing error. ebay Uk.

tygerhawk avatar image
0 Likes"
tygerhawk answered ·
I am having the same issue. Has there been a solution for this?

hartnollguitars1 avatar image
0 Likes"
hartnollguitars1 answered ·
Eventually, I found that my problem was actually not with the ItemSpecifics, but with photos not uploading correctly. I was reading the error messages wrong, the error on ItemSpecifics was actually just a warning, and my error was coming from photos incorrectly uploading whilst testing in my local development environment. I later discovered also that for some items when using the Global Shipping Program, eBay will return a completely unhelpful error "Your item is in violiation of listing policies" or words to that effect, citing words in the body text as the problem, and additionally returning the error about ItemSpecifics. In short, my problem was twofold: 1: Not reading the type of error message properly. 2: eBay error messages not being entirely specific to the problem

mc_manager avatar image
0 Likes"
mc_manager answered ·
I had almost the same issue. I'm using java sdk, at revise I got back the "EAN is missing a value. Enter a value and try again." error message from the api. The only working workaround yet is revising the listing on the website fill the required fields (Brand, MPN and EAN). After this revise works through the API. And I've found out EAN field is case sensitive, so you have to pass "Does not apply" exactly, or a real EAN code of course.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.