question

excel-autoparts avatar image
0 Likes"
excel-autoparts asked ·

Item Specific field with multiple values - broken with June 2015 update

Hi, Prior to the Category Updates applied to Ebay June 2015, we could add mutiple items to a single Item Specific field, and, crucially - when a customer searched ebay it would find the Product by all the values in the field. Now it will only find the Product by the first number/product code in the field - the other numbers are ignored. We have an AutoParts company. The Item Specific fields is OEM Reference Number. One auto part will fit multiple Makes of vehicles - eg, Seat, VW, Audi so it is common for manufacturers to give one part mutiple OEM Numbers. So it is important for a customer to be able to search by ANY of these numbers rather than one. So if the OEM Reference field = ABC1234, ER567, 77356 Ebay will now only find the part if the customer enters ABC1234 in a search - it will not find it if they enter ER567 or 77356. Prior to the June changes the part could be found by entering any of the codes in the search. Please advise. Please can Ebay reinstate the ability for a part/product to be found by multiple values in an Item Specific field. We stand to lose a lot of business if customers cannot find the appropriate part for their vehicle by all its identidying numbers. Thank you, Edward.
search-apiitem specifics
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
**The body listing isn't included in the search by default - most users don't choose to include it (or are aware that this is a possibility).** It's gotten worse.. The "include description" box is now floating into the ads. As the screen narrows it moves behind the other controls and then completely disappears when the screen is narrow enough. ![alt text][1] [1]: /storage/temp/681-overlap.png I've added this to the tech issues forum. You might want to add your issue there as well. http://community.ebay.com/t5/Technical-Issues/bd-p/technicalissues-db

overlap.png (25.6 KiB)

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

0 Likes"
excel-autoparts answered ·
Developing an app that feeds data in to Turbo Lister that then updates our listed products on ebay. It is a legacy app, if doing from scratch I would most likely have hooked in to the APIs. However.... that is a side issue. I will post my comments in the seller forum. The body listing isn't included in the search by default - most users don't choose to include it (or are aware that this is a possibility). And yes I am concerned about our company losing a lot of money by Ebay's supposedly logical changes to the Search fields - which they say will "make it easier for buyers to find sellers products". This is clearly not true. So I guess it is driven by Ebay's commercial reasons. Thanks for your informed opinions.

0 Likes"
Are you trying to do some development or just complaining about a behavior change on the website? Seller complaints are best done on the seller boards or in the weekly customer service sessions. If you want to develop a solution, there might be a way to get at the data you need, but it won't affect eBay search itself. If your real issue is the sales impact of this from a selling point of view, I'd suggest you just include the OEM part numbers in the body of your listings. Then if a user searches for them, they'll get picked up.

0 Likes"
Is the developers area just for Ebay APIs? I can't find anywhere to post a question about the fields in the online Ebay Search and the fields that are included in the search and how multiple values are treated. Ebay Support suggested that I post my development questions here when I asked them about the new behaviour.

0 Likes"
Hi clickprime, You are right - just an ebay issue rather than an api issue. However if ebay have changed how Specific Items are treated, surely that will also be reflected in the apis..... Further to the original post I have since discovered that no values in OEM Reference fields are searched by ebay now. This has been confirmed by ebay themselves. Their research indicated that people don't search for car parts using OEM numbers. I disagree. But there you go - this would appear to be the answer. So my next question would be...... ....which fields that ARE included in the ebay search will take multiple values (if any). I will post this question in a more appropriate area on the forum.

0 Likes"
Is this an API issue?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.