question

bestselectstore avatar image
0 Likes"
bestselectstore asked ·

Different results between searchAPI and search directly online

1) search for a keyword on www.ebay.com.au , e.g tablelcoth, with default sorting order(best match) 2) search the same keyword via ebay search API (findItemByKeyWord) with the following input: global-id="EBAY-AU" HideDuplicateItems = true responseData=JSON keyword=“tablecloth" Here are my observations of results returned from both interfaces: 1) on first page (let's say 20 items) less than 10 items can be found in both results, others are totally different. some items on first page of webpage even don't appear in 1000 items returned by API. 2) For my product, it ranked No.32 in webpage search result, but No 330 in api result. So i'm totally lost here. I can understand there are adjustments to web search result for each user, but i can't understand something on first page don't appears in first 1000 items in api search result. Can someone shed some light on this please?
search-api
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
1 Like"
clickimusprime answered ·
from the docs: *"Note: eBay site search results sorted by Best Match may not match the API search results sorted by Best Match. The site Best Match algorithm takes into account additional factors, such as user information, not available to the API. "* Like any database search, a change in a single factor can have dramatic results. The website may also have promoted listings. http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/stores/promoted-listings/faq.html#FAQ1-2
·

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
**Please let me know what should need to be done.** You should read the documentation and either adjust your search or adjust your expectations.
·

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
0 Likes"
$$anonymous$$ answered ·
Hi I have the same issue with Search API and search directly online. Search result is totally different from the direct online search. Please let me know what should need to be done. Thanks
·

bestselectstore avatar image
0 Likes"
bestselectstore answered ·
@clickprime thanks for your answer. I didn't know the difference would be so dramatic but it does make sense to make ranking system unpredictable.
·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.