question

amorphiaapparel avatar image
0 Likes"
amorphiaapparel asked

Is it against the terms of use to text listing urls from an app?

Howdy, I'm putting together a simple web app that will notify a user via a text to their cell phone if a new e-bay listing is posted matching their custom search criterion (including custom search templates, seller blocklists, and whatnot). In the API license agreement it states: "3.1 Using and Displaying eBay Content. Display of eBay Content is permitted only within your Application." So does the above rule mean I'm not permitted to send a text with a direct link to the auction, and its current price, since that would be "outside of my application". Or is something as general as a url and price fair game to share that way? If that's the case I could just text the user a link back to a page on my website which would then hold the listing information (so that technically I will keep it contained with the app), but it's be nice to be able to send them on their way directly. Thanks! Jeremy
search-listingslicenserules
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
I think you should be OK sending that text message to your users, with eBay URL & price, etc. But you still may want to instead consider utilizing your Plan B of sending the user back to your site, showcasing the 1 item that the text is about. The reason why is that you can then have them click from there to the item listing on eBay, with that click from your site being an affiliate click, potentially earning you an eBay affiliate commission if they buy the item (or another item) shortly thereafter. While this could be done via the link you text them (having that link be an affiliate link to eBay), you'd need special permission from eBay Partner Network to do that, since the mobile/text traffic wouldn't be coming from a website.
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.