question

dmxprosales avatar image
0 Likes"
dmxprosales asked ·

Wrong SKU in order details - GetOrderTransactions

I have an item that has a SKU associated (DMXKING-EDMX1-3-PWR) like this picture: ![alt text][1] This SKU has never changed, it's always been this. I recently had an order come through (the first) for this item, and in the GetOrderTransactions API request the SKU is wrong: ![alt text][2] I've tried to figure out how to report this to eBay, but all attempts have gone down a black hole. It's obviously very important that the correct SKU is send over with an order or the wrong item can get shipped (I caught it so it's fine for this order, but it skews the sales statistics). The SKU you see in the second picture is another item I'm selling, so the SKU looks to be coming from there, but why is it on this order?? [1]: /storage/temp/623-ebay-api-bug-2.png [2]: /storage/temp/624-ebay-api-bug.png
errortransaction
ebay-api-bug-2.png (60.2 KiB)
ebay-api-bug.png (82.6 KiB)
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

dmxprosales avatar image
0 Likes"
dmxprosales answered ·
Forgot to answer that. I only have 3 items for sale, all orders (except this one) has been for the first item I created (DMXKING-DMXMICRO), so I can't tell. And now I've changed the custom label after I activated SellingManager, so my guess is that it'll be correct in the future. Yes, you may be right, maybe the custom label (which is used to populate the SKU field in GetOrderTransactions) gets populated when an item is cloned, but after that it's not exposed (unless you're using SellingManager) so cloned/template items will have the wrong value. The SKU field seems to be mapped to something else then. One suggestion is to expose the custom label field in the normal item edit, maybe even hide/remove the "invalid" SKU field, at least IMHO.
· 4 · Share

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @dmxprosales GetOrderTransaction is returning the SKU correctly as DMXKING-DMXMICRO because at the time of creation of the transaction/order, the SKU value was DMXKING-DMXMICRO Later this SKU value was changed to DMXKING-EDMX1-3-PWR An easy way to check this is to execute GetItem api with both ItemID and TransactionID. this will showyou the item level details at the time of creation of the order. Here is the doc link : http://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/reference/ebay/GetItem.html#Request.TransactionID Thanks
0 Likes 0 · ·
dmxprosales avatar image dmxprosales vijayta.developersupport ·
But it wasn't DMXKING-DMXMICRO at the time of the order (see the screenshot above, that's what the item was from the time it was created). BUT, the Custom Label was DMXKING-DMXMICRO because it wasn't visible until I activated Selling Manager. My point is that it's wrong that you're showing a SKU fields on the item screen, but that's not the SKU that's in the API. Either the label should be changed, or you should expose the Custom Label and call that the SKU. I assume that's better than changing the API (the API field should've been called CustomLabel IMO).
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hi @dmxprosales The way the api has been designed is to return the SKU value at the time of order creation. If you want SKU to be same always, then I would recommend you to list items with This will not only ensure SKU consistency, but also help you avoid duplicate listings. Thanks
0 Likes 0 · ·
dmxprosales avatar image dmxprosales vijayta.developersupport ·
And as I wrote, the SKU (at least the field that is labeled SKU on your web site item detail screen) has been the same since the item was created, it was never changed, please re-read my comment as I believe you missed that part.
0 Likes 0 · ·
dmxprosales avatar image
0 Likes"
dmxprosales answered ·
Hello, thanks for replying. A couple of answers: 1. I'm not creating items via the API (and actually I'm not using the API directly, I'm using a service called ShipStation and they are the ones using the API. However I did register as a developer and tested this out myself). 2. The SKU was never changed, but I probably used the one with SKU DMXKING-DMXMICRO as a template/cloned to create the eDMX1 one. But I changed the SKU on the item screen right away, before any orders were placed. 3. My developer userid is HakanL 4. With the help of ShipStation we actually figured it out. It turns out the SKU field in the GetOrderTransactions is actually coming from a field in item setup called "Custom Label". And this field is only available when using the SellingManager. I think it's very misleading that you have a field exposed in the item listing edit screen called SKU, but that's not what gets sent over in the SKU field when an order is placed. Thanks, /Hakan
· 2 · Share

(doesn't seem like I can edit a reply, the formatting got messed up). Maybe my developer user id is dmxprosales, sorry got confused.
0 Likes 0 · ·
Hi @dmxprosales SKu should be same as custom label if this is not tracked by SKu. If you did not change it before the order was placed, then this seem to be an issue. Have you seen this happening with other orders as well ? I am wondering if it has anything to do with the template thing you mentioned. However, let me test this out and see if there is an issue on our end. Thanks
0 Likes 0 · ·
vijayta.developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
vijayta.developersupport answered ·
Hi @dmxprosales Just to call this out, SKU at Item level is handled differently than SKU at ItemSpecifics level, if the item has been listed with InventoryTrackingMethod as SKU. Let me know if you want to know more about this. Coming to this specific issue, the item is not tracked by SKU. I see that GetItem api returns DMXKING-EDMX1-3-PWR at Item level, however GetOrderTransaction returns DMXKING-DMXMICRO at item level, so I do see the issue. I do see the issue,however, I have a question. Was this SKU changed between the time when this was listed, and the order was created ? In GetOrderTransactions api response, SKu is returned in ItemTransactionID array which means there is a possibility that SKU was DMXKING-DMXMICRO at the time of creation of the transaction. I am not sure at the moment, but I will test this out. Just a few questions : -> Is it happening to any other order as well ? ->Please share your developer username so that I can file a ticket on your behalf in case this turns out to be a bug. Best Practice : -> If you are tracking items with SKU, I'd strongly recommend you to list items with InventoryTrackingMethod as SKU. Here is the doc link : http://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/reference/ebay/AddFixedPriceItem.html#Request.Item.InventoryTrackingMethod This will help you in 2 ways : avoid duplicate listings since you cannot list 2 items with same SKU, and also since the SKU cannot be changed during the life cycle of the item, you will never run into orders having different SKUs. NOTE : Please do NOT share any eBayAuthToken, or passwords in the forums. Thanks

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.