question

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
0 Likes"
$$anonymous$$ asked ·

findItemsByCategory - globalid filter does not always work

I've tested the findItemsByCategory call a few times with a request that uses the GLOBAL-ID parameter to limit the returned items. However I have noticed that the GLOBAL-ID filter does not always work: The globalid EBAY-NL e.g. returns more EBAY-IT auctions than EBAY-NL ones. Can anyone confirm this behaviour?
searchsearch-apisearch-listingsfinditemsbycategoryglobalid
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
1 Like"
clickimusprime answered ·
Did some more tests. Looks like they are returning results based on the region codes. Note the 231494063474 entries - the item ships to Netherlands, but no to the US, but calls do not return the item. So it's ignoring ship to countries when they are individually entered. The request GlobalID appears to have similar meaning as availableTo+region, while the returned GlobalID is indeed the listing site and Country is the item location. ------- Finding -------- ------- Shopping -------- ReqGID GlobalID Country ReqSiteID Site Country ShipsTo 191525863669 EBAY-NL EBAY-DE DE 146 Germany DE Worldwide 131442819368 EBAY-NL EBAY-GB GB 146 UK GB Worldwide 231494063474 EBAY-NL No Result 146 UK GB NL=Y, US=N 281615596610 EBAY-NL EBAY-FR FR 146 France FR Europe 201296431002 EBAY-NL No Result 146 ERR US MX USA 191525863669 EBAY-US EBAY-DE DE 0 Germany DE Worldwide 131442819368 EBAY-US EBAY-GB GB 0 UK GB Worldwide 231494063474 EBAY-US No result 0 UK GB NL=Y, US=N 281615596610 EBAY-US No result 0 ERR France FR Europe 201296431002 EBAY-US EBAY-US MX 0 US MX

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

0 Likes"
Forum still sucks. Clean chart here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=D7cd1ZC3

0 Likes"
**AvailableTo is meant to specify individual countries that the item can be shipped to, and can be a list of 2-digit country codes out of about 200-ish countries. ** Ahh I see the distinction. You live in a larger world than I. Mine's limited to EPN countries for eBay.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
I don't think it would make AvailableTo redundant. AvailableTo is meant to specify individual countries that the item can be shipped to, and can be a list of 2-digit country codes out of about 200-ish countries. GlobalID is limited to the couple-dozen eBay country-sites. So what I'm suggesting is that: **GlobalID specified in call** = items appearing on that eBay country-site (perhaps implies AvailbleTo the singular primary country that that eBay site serves, such as EBAY-NL) **GlobalID in returned data** = item was originally listed on this (other?) eBay country-site **AvailableTo filter in call** = items available to be shipped to this/these individual countries Mind you, frankly I have little direct experience playing with these various combinations myself in Finding API calls. I'm just stating here my theoretical understanding of them. Maybe I'm right; maybe I'm not.

0 Likes"
But that would make AvailableTo redundant. This is a behavior change that correlates loosely with global shipping and the change that allowed LocatedIn and AvailableTo to be used together (1.11.0) The fIA usage details indicate fetch from specific site: *Searching for items available on a specific eBay site The GLOBAL-ID URL parameter (or X-EBAY-SOA-GLOBAL-ID HTTP header) specifies the eBay site to use for searches.*

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
[Here's what the docs say][1] about that returned GlobalID. It's meant to indicate the eBay site where the item was originally listed. By contrast, GlobalID specified in the call request is (probably) meant to mean which eBay site the item can appear on. The behavior might actually be consistent with the docs. [1]: http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/finding/CallRef/findItemsAdvanced.html#Response.searchResult.item.globalId

0 Likes"
GLOBAL-ID is supposed to select items from a particular ebay site, but does not do this consistently for some time. You can try the LocatedIn filter. This erratic behavior is also triggered/affected by the AvailableTo filter. Also with category number differences between sites, it might be unreliable to depend on this working.

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
0 Likes"
$$anonymous$$ answered ·
http://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findItemsByCategory&GLOBAL-ID=EBAY-NL&SERVICE-VERSION=1.11.0&SECURITY-APPNAME=xxx&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=XML&REST-PAYLOAD&categoryId=9355 This is a search call for listings in the category 9355. The request has globalid filtered with EBAY-NL. The output shows me ebay.nl auctions, but the globalid shows EBAY-GB, EBAY-IT etc. So: The listings are correct ( ebay.nl) but the returned globalid is wrong: Output: [...] 191517131513 EBAY-GB 9355 Mobile & Smart Phones http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/m-o822Cywo2a6Vx4seWzGtw/140.jpg http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Apple-iPhone-4s-32-GB-White-Unlocked-Smartphone-/191517131513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3 [...] 351326069950 EBAY-IT 9355 Cellulari e smartphone http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/my_-S3b-fxQp5CsmY-c3ARA/140.jpg http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Apple-iphone-5s-16-gb-SILVER-4G-LTE-NUOVO-/351326069950?pt=Smartphone

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
Can you please post a sample call (with your AppID masked) ?
· 1 · Share

I've attached sample code in the answer below.
0 Likes 0 · ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.