question

jaisach-hupthp avatar image
0 Likes"
jaisach-hupthp asked

When listing items using AddItem API, receiving error 12024. Invalid product identifier!

I am trying to list items on eBay using the trader API. Although there’s a vast amount of documentation available on the net, I still have some doubts which I was hoping somebody could help me with. The scenario that i am implementing is the following Objective : I want to list ourselves as a Seller for certain items on eBay. We are already a registered seller on eBay, but so far we have been listing items manually. Now we want to be able to do this using the AddItem Trading API. For the moment, we shall only be selling items which already exist on eBay. Approach: For this, we are invoking the AddItem API (rather the VerifyAddItem for testing). In the segment, we use to list the item. Problem: When we try to list the UPC : 617885004346 which exists on eBay, we get the following error message: The value <617885004346> of type <UPC> does not exist in our Catalog The UPC exists on eBay, yet we get the above message. On the other hand, if we invoke the same API with a different UPC (885909298594), also existing on eBay, our request goes through. I have attached the two sample requests in the mail. I need help with the following queries: 1. Why is it that request for UPC : 885909298594 is successful but for UPC : 617885004346 is not. 2. Supposing that once an item is successfully listed, if we wish to update the price or shipping charges etc., can we call the AddItem API again with the revised parameters. 3. Is there a fee for calling the AddItem API. If yes, what are the charges. 4. Can the same API be used to list Auction items by changing the ListingType. Thanks.
additem12024
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
shulmani_developer.support avatar image
0 Likes"
shulmani_developer.support answered
Hi, Here are the answers to your questions: - Why is it that request for UPC : 885909298594 is successful but for UPC : 617885004346 is not. A : You said that the UPC: 617885004346 exists in eBay catalog. Can you tell how do you know that this UPC exists in eBay Catalog? - List item Supposing that once an item is successfully listed, if we wish to update the price or shipping charges etc., can we call the AddItem API again with the revised parameters. A. You can use the ReviseItem/ ReviseFixedPriceItem to revise the fields that you want. Check the conditions on the fields that can be changed. http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/XML/docs/Reference/ebay/ReviseItem.html http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/XML/docs/Reference/ebay/ReviseFixedPriceItem.html - Is there a fee for calling the AddItem API. If yes, what are the charges. A: There are no fees for calling the any of the API's. Every application gets a default of 5000 Trading API Calls that it can make every day. But there is a listing fee after the item has been listed successfully on eBay. - Can the same API be used to list Auction items by changing the ListingType. A: Ideally you will use the Additem API: http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/XML/docs/Reference/ebay/AddItem.html Call to list an auction item and AddFixedPriceItem : http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/XML/docs/Reference/ebay/AddFixedPriceItem.html API Call to list a FixedPrice Item. I hope this helps. Cheers!!!!
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I shall take a look at the links you have provided for reference. Regarding UPC: 617885004346, i think it exists in eBay catalog because when i go to eBay and enter this UPC on the search bar, the item pops up in the result set. This is the same UPC that we wish to sell also. Since, eBay is able to search this item based on the UPC, hence i assume that it exists in eBay Catalog. Please correct me if my assumption is wrong. Thanks Again. Sachin Jain
0 Likes 0 ·
Not necessary, the item search can show up items with the UPC ( as a keyword) based on the ItemSpecifics that have been entered for the items that returned in the search results. So not necessary that these items were listed with eBay catalog details. Cheers!!!
0 Likes 0 ·
Hi, From your reply on the fourth question, you've mentioned that for listing an auction item and a Fixed Price item, we need to use a separate API, i.e. for auction - AddItem and for Fixed Price - AddFixedPrice Item. After analyzing the AddItem API, there is a tag which is ListingType and the applicable values are: FixedPriceItem (Fixed Price) and Chinese (Auction). Can't we list the two using the same APIs? Or do we really need to call two APIs for this purpose?
0 Likes 0 ·
Hi, You can use the same API. But if there is a FixedPriceItem with Variaitons, you will notice that the AddItem does not have Variations container. Hence we recommend that you use the AddFixedPriceItem to list fixed price items. Cheers!!!!
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.