question

neville9763 avatar image
0 Likes"
neville9763 asked

getting historical data

hi i am an newbie to ebay dev. i am an (ex) software developer who has taken to buying broken stuff on eBay, fixing and reselling it on eBay. i am currently using tetrapeak to do market research but want to streamline my processes so want to develop a custom tool (using eBay api) to help with my buying and selling. in the longer term, if this works ok, i may also release a working version for others to use. i have noticed that the eBay guidelines specifically excluded the collecting of data for research and/or getting average prices for items. how do i get data so that i can use it to get a short term (60-90 day) view of what the selling price for a specific item is and do it within the guidelines? best neville
search apihistorical data
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

the section in the guidelines that prohibits collection of statistical data is: Don't use the API for following purposes: collecting statistical data.Deriving increase sales or activity rates for listings with enhancements, such as bold titles, unless the information is specific to the user logged into your application and only for that user's view. .... Deriving average selling price or gross merchandize value for any category. ....
0 Likes 0 ·
have reread the guidelines and am not sure if the restrictions apply to my case. i want to get an average selling price for a very specific item within a category over a 60-90 day period. do the guidelines specifically prohibit this?
0 Likes 0 ·

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
I don't have any clear answers for you, just some thoughts. Whenever people post here about wanting access to historical eBay sales data, no one seems to have any clear answers about how this is done. I think Terapeak, perhaps via their API, is the route to pursue, but I'm not even sure if Terapeak is currently accepting applications for historical data access. It would be great if eBay could clarify what the options are for this kind of thing these days. My own casual intepretation of the "average selling price" (ASP) clause in the API is that it refers to the entire sub/category itself -- but I could easily be wrong about that. Maybe it really does mean any ASP calculation in any category across the board, but I think that's less likely. If you're building something for your own use only, perhaps the scaling of this project is small enough that it's not too important how the ASP is used, since you won't publicize it. Not sure. In any case, check out [findCompletedItems][1] for some short-term insights into completed item data. The call has a few quirks to it, but it might be enough to provide some value to you. [1]: http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/finding/CallRef/findCompletedItems.html
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.