question

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 asked

Intermittent reply from downloadFile API call in production

I am debugging an issue with a high volume integration service and i've isolated the issue. The API call downloadFile does not always get a reply. It is intermittent because sometimes it works, other times it does not. I would expect a reply to all calls with success/failure and related information, however there are occasions where no reply is received and this is causing the processing of the reply to fail in my processes. The annoying thing is that the actions in the uploaded file are processed succesfully, but because I can't process the reply on some occasions I can't get the response file and update my inventory status, so things get out of sync. For example, I can't confirm if the item was listed or not, so it will try and list the same item again later and then I will get a duplicate listing error. I am using PHP. Has anybody else run into any issues with no reply from the API? Cheers, Noodle
failedreply
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
So after lots and lots of testing today, I have come to the conclusion that the bulk upload& download process for Ebay is having issues.. Sometimes I get no API response when uploading, other times I get no response when requesting the download file with the results of processing. I am seeing the behaviour with uploading, and downloading, but its very intermittent. I've enhanced the processing of the download file to check for a reply, if it doesn't get one I am using some retry logic.
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

shulmani_developer.support avatar image
0 Likes"
shulmani_developer.support answered
Hi, Is it possible for you to give us the JobID's for which you have not got a response? We can check what the possible issue is. Cheers!!!
10 |600

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
Hello @shrut_h I don't have the log files with that info in at the moment, but I am running a whole bunch of testing at the moment and will give you the job numbers once I have some from my current processing. Thanks for the reply :)
10 |600

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
hah! why is it, just after replying I get an example @shrut_h uploadFileRequest API call for job 5406512304, no response from the API This caused the "startUploadJob" APi call to fail with the error "File has not been uploaded yet" It retried the upload a couple of times, but failed on the retry as well.
10 |600

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
a further update. it took 4 follow up attempts before it was able to process the same data (get a reply from the API). It kept resubmitting the same job. I've added a 60 second delay between sending the file and requesting it be processed thinking that perhaps the Ebay server needs some time to unzip the received file and parse it, however that didn't solve the issue. fun times :)
10 |600

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
I have a further example.. Job 5406545044. the API call using downloadFile took 7 attempts, 20 seconds apart before it got a reply from the API and grabbed the file. on the 7th attempt it managed to get a reply and download the file.
10 |600

savecentral-outlet avatar image
0 Likes"
savecentral-outlet answered
I also am experiencing this issue, am in process of debugging details, but this has resulted in a large number of duplicate listings :-( I will post once I get some details from debugging.
10 |600

shulmani_developer.support avatar image
0 Likes"
shulmani_developer.support answered
Hi, We see that the jobs are still still in schedule but the it is being aborted by you before the job is consume by eBay. The time to process each request mighht vary . We recommended you to do some polling and delay for each polling. The polling depends on the size of the request. So the delay 60 seconds may not be sufficient if the request is huge. Cheers!!!
10 |600

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
Interesting... What happens here is that the request is made to Ebay with the file, but! the API doesn't respond to say that the file has been received (there is no XML reply) I've added some retry / polling logic to handle the scenario which is doing the job, but I would expect a reply from the API in all scenarios so the response can be correctly handled. Is there an API function that can be called to check on the upload / download request API call status?
10 |600

noodleman8 avatar image
0 Likes"
noodleman8 answered
repost with tags for @shrut_h Interesting... What happens here is that the request is made to Ebay with the file, but! the API doesn't respond to say that the file has been received (there is no XML reply) I've added some retry / polling logic to handle the scenario which is doing the job, but I would expect a reply from the API in all scenarios so the response can be correctly handled. Is there an API function that can be called to check on the upload / download request API call status?
10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.