question

bestuser2018 avatar image
0 Likes"
bestuser2018 asked

EIASToken - uniquely identifying a user

Hi, Is there a reason why message calls such as GetMemberMessages and GetMyMessages don't return the user's EIASToken? Would this ever be added? It would make life a bit easier when connecting received messages up to the correct customer (i.e. not having to do GetUser just to get the EIASToken).
getmymessagesgetmembermessages
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

vijayta.developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
vijayta.developersupport answered
Hi @coopaupau Are you trying to track the entire thread between a buyer and seller. If so, here is a KB article : https://ebaydts.com/eBayKBDetails?KBid=2092 If not, can you explain what is your exact use case and how would introducing EIASToken resolve that issue ? Thanks
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

0 Likes"
bestuser2018 answered
Hi @vijayta.developersupport It's to connect a received message to a customer, where the customer has changed their user id. For example, consider this series of events: 1. Customer with id ABCD makes an order. In my customer management system they are now identified by their EIASToken and user id. 2. On eBay, the customer changes their id from ABCD to ZXCV. 3. Then they send a message to the seller. 4. There is no EIASToken in the messaging calls, so I have to check their eBay user id to see if it matches a customer already in my database. It doesn't (because they changed their id), so the message cannot be connected to an existing customer. A new customer is created. Now to avoid that I can do GetUser on every "new" eBay user id that comes in, to find out what their EIASToken is. It would be much simpler, and reduce the volume of calls, if the EIASToken was included in the messaging calls. Unless of course I'm missing something obvious, in which case let me know.
10 |600

Hi @coopaupau Can you please also tell me how frequently do you face this issue ? Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
@vijayta.developersupport It does come up quite often. Lots of eBay users change their id. For example, any new customer on eBay can have their user id automatically generated when they make their first order. They tend to update their id afterwards when they realise one was generated for them. For example, my id "coopaupau" was generated by eBay. If the message calls included the EIASToken then I wouldn't have to make GetUser calls on all eBay user ids which don't match an existing customer in my database.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes"
bestuser2018 answered
So I take it there is no comment or update on this? I am really confused as to why you don't want to include the EIASToken on all calls that have data about a specific user. Surely every call that has data should provide the unique id of the object?
10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.